Here we will discuss the basics you need to know to make a simple WordPress website. Have you ever heard about WordPress? What is WordPress? WordPress is an open source CMS (Content Management System) which allows you to manage your website content without needing to know anything about programming.
How can I use WordPress?
You can use it in 2 ways to build WordPress websites.
1) FREE: Create a subdomain under wordpress.com and start using for free. But here the disadvantage is you can’t have your own website name to design, It comes along with WordPress.com for Eg: rithika.wordpress.com.
2) PAID: If you don’t want to have WordPress.com websites, then you have to purchase your own domain and hosting. So that you can design your own website using the WordPress platform.
Few simple steps to design your WordPress website
- Purchase Domain
- Purchase Hosting
- Install WordPress
- Access WordPress
Purchase Domain & Hosting
If your Domain and Hosting purchase are done then login to cPanel to install WordPress. Immediately after purchase, you can’t access cPanel.You have to wait for 2 hours to 48 hours until it gets configured. If you are looking for the information on how to purchase a Domain and Hosting I have explained in the other Blog.
How do I launch a website using cPanel?
Install WordPress to design your website using cPanel. In order to install WordPress first log in to cPanel. To install WordPress via cPanel, all you need to do is look for the SOFTACULOUS APPS INSTALLER section and click on the WordPress button.
Once you click on WordPress button, It will redirect to the installation window. You find Install now Button here click on that and Then, follow the simple setup wizard to complete the WordPress installation process.
Here you can see different sections: Software setup, Site Settings, Admin account, etc.
- Choose the version: As of now you can see 3 versions, choose the latest one
- Choose protocol: It will you 4 options to choose 1) http:// 2) http://www 3) https:// 4) https://www . If your site has the SSL certificate then choose https protocol. SSL is nothing but Security Sockets Layer certificate. If you don’t have now you can apply for that later. For now, you can choose http protocol.
- Choose Domain: Enter your domain name here.
- In Directory: In this section, you can see WP in the box delete that. Keep it empty.
- Site Name: Enter your Website name. It can be in Upper case or Lower case.
- Site Description: Enter the tag line of your website.
- Enable Multisite (WPMU): Don’t click on this option.
- Admin Username: Enter your user name to create an account.
- Admin Password: Enter a new password. If you forget the Username & Password after installing you cannot get into WordPress.
- Admin Email: Enter your personal email id Or you can give your business mail id which ends with your domain name if you have one. Eg: email@example.com.
- Select your language and then click on Install.
How to Access the WordPress Account?
After Installation of your WordPress account, you can check for your website by typing your domain name In the new tab. You get to see an inbuilt theme. Type your domain name/wp-admin to access your WordPress account. Eg: www.rithika.org/wp-admin. Then enter your user name and password and click on Login.
This is how your WordPress dashboard looks like. On the left-hand side, you get to see different sections like Post, Media, Pages, Comments, Appearance, Plugins, Users, Tools, Settings etc. These are the common options you get to see on every WordPress dashboard. The other options what you can see in the above picture are because of different plugins I have installed. I would like to explain in detail about creating pages and post, installing plugins, optimization in the next Blog.
I hope I have provided all the information about how to create a WordPress website. If anything you would like to know please write a comment in the comment section. Stay tuned.
Need help setting up a website for your business? Get in Touch